A 100% natural Danish Oil mix of Pure Tung Oil extracted from the seeds of the Tung tree and Citrus Peel Oil. The Natural Paint Company Pure Danish Oil penetrates deeply into timber, and gives a warm, elastic, water-resistant, well-sealing surface. It can be used as a finishing oil that is non-toxic and food safe (FDA).
As a coating for timber surfaces including:
- Furniture and toys
- Doors, skirting’s and architraves
- Not recommended for timber flooring – See Hard Floor Oil or Hard Wax.
- 12-16m² per litre for previously oiled wood, 8-12m² per litre for dressed smooth wood.
- Coverage may be lower (2-6m² per litre) for rough sawn or porous wood.
- 1 Litre, 2 Litre, 4 Litre, 10 Litre.
Tung Oil, Citrus Peel Oil
PREPARING THE SURFACE
- Prepare the surface in accordance with standard practice.
- Previous coats of other products must be removed.
- The surface must be well sanded: We recommend 180-600 grit. The finer the better.
- Ensure the surface is clean, free from grease and dry (with a maximum timber moisture content of 12% where relevant).
- Wipe timbers containing high amounts of resins or terpenes with The Natural Paint Company Thinner, using a lint free cloth – especially on rimu, matai, oak, some tropical timbers etc.
- If glue is used in a laid timber floor, ensure it is fully hardened before applying product.
- Always test for suitability on your substrate.
APPLYING THE PRODUCT
- Stir thoroughly before using.
- Ventilate well when working with the product and while it is drying.
- Apply in thin even coats by brush or roller. 2-4 coats required depending on the absorbency of the substrate and the required finish. Lightly sand between coats if necessary.
- Never pour the oil on the surface as this will result in patchiness and staining that sanding will not remove.
- After 30-60 minutes the excess oil must be removed with a lint-free cloth. The oil can be padded in using a professional machine and green pad, any oil remaining must be removed with a lint-free cloth.
Note: Any oil remaining on the surface will result in a sticky, shiny, non-drying finish!
- Can be sanded and recoated after surface is fully dry (non-tacky), generally 12-24 hours at 20°C/50-55% relative humidity. Product will be fully cured after 14 – 30 days.
Note: The drying time of oil-based products is prolonged by:
High humidty and/or low temperatures during application and drying time; absorption of natural terpenes, oils, waxes or resins from the substrate, poor ventilation and thick coats.
- Clean implements immediately after use with The Natural Paint Company Thinner.
- Clean only after fully hardened. Use a gentle non-abrasive pH neutral cleaner.
- When recoating The Natural Paint Company Pure Danish Oil, clean surface well, degrease and/or sand lightly if necessary.
Natural ingredients can still be harmful to users and the environment if misused, or if accidents occur, so please carefully observe the following:
- Keep out of reach of children.
- Keep all product and materials away from open flame.
- Use with adequate ventilation.
- Keep work materials soaked in Danish Oil, such as rags, sponges, sanding dust and contaminated clothing in an airtight container, or rinse in water and spread out to dry on a non-combustible surface – danger of spontaneous combustion.
- Seal well and store in a cool, dry place.
- Remove any skin that has formed in open containers and sieve if necessary before use.
- Do not dispose of in drains and wastepipes.
- Let waste dry out and recycle empty containers where possible. Dispose of according to council regualtions.
The above information is given as a general guide only. Site conditions will vary, and it is always advisable to apply a test sample. Failure to follow the above instructions will void all warranties attached to the product. This supersedes any previous data sheets.