A high-quality primer for interior and exterior timber surfaces that penetrates deeply into the timber. The Natural Paint Company Wood Priming Oil enhances the colour and grain, giving an open-pored, silky matt even surface in preparation for top coating with out water-based oils. Wood Priming Oil is solvent free, VOC free and is approved for use on toys according to European regulations. Can be tinted to a range of trans-oxide colours.
Clean up with water.
As a water-based primer for interior and exterior timber surfaces before being oiled, including:
- Windows, doors architraves etc.
- Chip board, MDF etc.
Note: Always coat with the relevant finishing product. The Natural Paint Company Hard Floor Oil, Pure Interior Oil or Exterior Oil – see relevant product Data Sheets for more information. Will watermark over time if not protected.
- 10-12m² per litre depending on the absorbency of the timber.
- 4-5m² per litre approximately for first coat on MDF, cork, chipboard and absorbent or rough sawn substrates.
- 500mls, 1 Litre, 2 Litre, 4 Litre, 10 Litre.
Dehydrated castor oil, colophony resin ester, antioxidants, clay, zinc oxide, Proprietary complex driers (non-hazardous).
PREPARING THE SURFACE
- Prepare the surface in accordance with standard practice.
- Other surface coatings may need to be removed completely.
- The surface must be well sanded: floors with 120-180 grit, furniture with 180-240 grit.
- Ensure the surface is clean, free from grease and dry (with a maximum timber moisture content of 12%.
- Wipe timbers containing high amounts of resins or terpenes with The Natural Paint Company Thinner, using a lint free cloth – especially on matai, oak, some tropical timbers etc. Allow to dry.
- If glue is used in a laid timber floor, ensure it is fully hardened before applying product.
- Always test for suitability on your substrate with an adhesion test.
APPLYING THE PRODUCT (TIMBER AND MUDBRICK)
- The floor/surface temperature must be at least 16°C. Heat area overnight if necessary.
- Stir thoroughly before using.
- Ventilate well when working with the product and while it is drying.
- Apply in thin even coats by brush, roller or spray gun. We recommend a high-quality Dacron roller suitable for water-based products.
- Very absorbent surfaces may require a second coat.
- Never pour the oil on the surface as this will result in patchiness and staining that sanding will not remove.
- Touch dry after 1-2 hours at 20°C at 50-55% humidity.
- Can be sanded and/or recoated after 2-3 hours at 20°C/50-55% relative humidity.
Fully hardend after 7-14 days.
Note: The drying time of oil-based products is prolonged by:
High humidty and/or low temperatures during application and drying time; absorption of natural terpenes, oils, waxes or resins from the substrate, poor ventilation and thick coats.
- Clean implements immediately after use with water. If left, implements will need to be cleaned up with thinners.
Natural ingredients can still be harmful to users and the environment if misused, or if accidents occur, so please carefully observe the following:
- Keep out of reach of children.
- Use with adequate ventilation; do not breathe fumes or vapour.
- Avoid skin contact.
- Keep work materials soaked in Wood Priming Oil, such as rags, sponges, sanding dust and contaminated clothing in an airtight container, or rinse in water and spread out to dry on a non-combustible surface.
- Seal well and store in a cool, dry place.
- Remove any skin that has formed in open containers and sieve if necessary before use.
- Do not dispose of in drains and wastepipes.
- Let waste dry out and recycle empty containers where possible. Dispose of according to council regulations.
The above information is given as a general guide only. Site conditions will vary, and it is always advisable to apply a test sample. Failure to follow the above instructions will void all warranties attached to the product. This supersedes any previous data sheets.